Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Finding fabulous features

I got a call from Rob, the photo editor, today at around 6:00. He had shot a feature photo earlier in the day, but we needed one or two more. I wasn't busy, so I said I'd walk around campus and see what I could find. We've done this four or five times so far (once because there actually wasn't anything artwise for the front page and the other times just to shoot stuff), and it's a lot harder than it sounds. You really have to keep your eye out for interesting things that are going on, or figure out how to make mundane things look interesting.

Anyway, I had been walking around for about 30 min and hadn't really found anything. Then I came across a group of guys playing football. Not the most interesting thing, but I shot it just so that I would have something to fall back on. Although I was pretty sure they wouldn't use since the first home football game is tomorrow night.

So I left those guys and headed over to Lewellen Pool. As I was walking through the hall, I saw outisde the window there was a group of three students who were looking and feeling trees and were taking down notes. Hmmm.... that could be interesting, so I went to see what they were up to.

Turns out they are 3rd year landscape architecture students. They are in a class called -- get this -- Plants. By the end of the semester they have to be able to identify over 200 types of plants around campus! The girl, Jessica Day, said "It's very tedious," to which Dominic Angotti added, "I've heard it's one of the hardest classes on campus."

Currently listening to Basil Poledouris's score to "For the Love of the Game".



No comments: